AllAboutFinanceCareers Finance jobs, courses & advice. All good. All in one place.



Apply to ICAEW:


We’re ICAEW, a world leading professional membership body. We provide qualifications and professional development, share our knowledge, insight and technical expertise, and protect the quality and integrity of the accountancy and finance profession.

We believe that accountancy can be a force for positive economic change across the world. Through us, talented school leavers and graduates can take a qualification called the ACA (Associate Chartered Accountant) to become ICAEW Chartered Accountants.

What opportunities are on offer? You can find ICAEW Chartered Accountants working in all industries, across the world. They can’t be confined to number crunching, because the variety of work they do is too vast. Whether they’re helping a charity to raise money, advising governments on spending, or sitting on the board of a multinational company, they need a creative mind to think of new ways to move forward.

Graduate Jobs

How can you become chartered?

1. Finish university with a degree in any subject.

2. Enter into an ACA training agreement with an authorised employer.

3. Complete a combination of study, exams, practical work experience and ethics.

4. When you complete your ACA training, you can apply to become a member of ICAEW.

5. Once you’re accepted you’ll become an ICAEW Chartered Accountant, and you can use the letters ACA after your name.

When applying to jobs, make sure you look out for those that offer the ACA qualification as part of their programme.

You can also view jobs that offer the ACA qualification on ICAEW Training Vacancies.

Internships & Placements

Internships and placements are fantastic opportunities to develop new skills, gain contacts and ensure that your chosen career is right for you. It is also an important way to make your CV stand out by demonstrating to employers that you are serious about a career in accountancy.

Many of our authorised training employers offer work experience opportunities, internships and placements. If you’re interested in finding one, search on


If you’re about to leave school, you may be interested to know that there is more than one route to becoming an ICAEW Chartered Accountant. You can go straight to work and start training. Alternatively, you could go to university first.  

The options don’t end there either. If you want to start work straight away, you can chose from a Higher Apprenticeship, a school leaver programme, or AAT. Likewise, if you want to go to university, you can do a degree followed by the ACA qualification, or combine both through and employer-affiliated degree.

It might surprise you to learn that you don’t need Maths as one of you’re a-levels. That’s not to say academics aren’t important. Entry requirements will vary depending on the employer and the programme you are following. Generally, employers will look for a minimum of a B in GCSE Maths and English and 280+ UCAS points at A-levels (or their equivalents).

For all entry routes, you will need to apply directly to an employer. As well as having a strong academic background, they will be looking for candidates who stand out from the crowd and can bring something extra to their organisation. Among other things, you’ll need to show a genuine interest in, and commitment to, your chosen career path.

Skills that employers look for include:

  • People skills
  • Team working
  • Decision making and problem solving
  • Professionalism
  • Commercial awareness
  • IT skills

It’s important that you choose the right route for you, find out more about all of the different entry routes and choose the one for you at

If you are ready to start your journey as a school leaver, visit to find a school leaver programme to suit you. 

School Leaver Programmes

ICAEW do not currently run any School Leaver Programmes, explore to find out about the other exciting roles they offer.

Sponsored Degrees

Coming soon...

Salary & Benefits

The global average salary for ICAEW Chartered Accountants with 0-2 years' experience is £51,000.


In order to start the ACA, you’ll need to have two A-level passes (grades A*-E) or equivalent. You’ll also need three GCSE passes (grades A-C/9-4) or equivalent. 

•        Employers typically expect grade B/5 in GCSE maths and english and over

•        112 UCAS points. 

•        You 3 don’t need to study maths at A-level, you just need to be comfortable with numbers

•        If you choose to complete a degree, the majority of employers expect a 2:1, however this varies so it’s important to check each employer’s entry requirements.

•        If you go to university, you should know that employers who offer ACA training welcome all degrees.


Coming soon...


Visit ICAEW Training Vacancies for the latest ACA opportunities.